MAINTENANCE OF THE M88A1 - OD1672 - LESSON 1/TASK 1
(3) Caliber .50 Machinegun. The caliber .50 machinegun is mounted on
the commander's cupola and is used against attacks by enemy personnel,
vehicles, and low-flying aircraft.
(4) Commander's Cupola. The commander's cupola is located on top of
the crew compartment. It provides a mount for the machinegun mentioned in
(3) above, and contains six prism blocks permitting a 360 field-of-vision.
(5) Communication Components. The radio equipment mounted inside the
crew compartment provides for internal and external ground-to-ground
(6) Gas-Particulate Filter Unit.
The gas-particulate filter unit
filters the air for breathing and contains adapters for connecting the
(7) Personnel Heater. The personnel heater provides the heated air
required for crew personnel comfort during cold weather operations.
(8) Auxiliary Power Unit. The auxiliary power unit is a two-cylinder
diesel engine that operates the auxiliary generator to provide electrical
power to recharge the vehicle batteries when they are too weak to start the
This unit is also used to provide hydraulic power to
operate the spade, boom, and winches in other than normal recovery and
(9) Flow Regulator Control.
The flow regulator controls the
operation of the fuel transfer pump and hydraulic impact wrench by
regulating the flow of fuel and hydraulic fluid, respectively.
(10) M239 Smoke Grenade Kit. The M239 smoke grenade kit is a defense
system that provides a self-screening smoke capability to conceal the
vehicle and crew from enemy observation during recovery operations under
(11) Exhaust Smoke Generating System.
system also provides a self-screening smoke capability for concealing the
vehicle and crew during recovery operations under hostile conditions.