BANDSAW OPERATIONS - OD1646 - LESSON 2/TASK 2
workpiece is too rough, then any of the following conditions could be the
cause. Check for these five conditions, and make corrections or adjustments
(1) The saw guide inserts may be worn.
Readjust them, as needed.
(2) The saw band speed may be too low.
Adjust the band speed as needed
to eliminate the problem.
(3) The saw band pitch may be too coarse.
Choose a saw band with a
(4) The feed may be too heavy.
Adjust the feed as required to eliminate
(5) Vibration could cause this condition.
See paragraphs 5b and 5c,
beginning on page 80, for the troubleshooting steps performed to solve
Troubleshooting the Malfunction: SAW BAND TEETH STRIPPING.
teeth stripping is usually caused by chip welding. It may also be caused by
(1) The saw band pitch may be too coarse for a thin work section.
(2) The workpiece may not be held firmly enough to stop vibration.
(3) The feed pressure may be too high.
Adjust the feed pressure as
needed to eliminate the symptom.
(4) The band speed may be too low.
Raise the band speed slightly to
eliminate the problem.
Troubleshooting the Malfunction: PREMATURE DULLING OF SAW BAND TEETH.
Premature dulling of the saw band teeth may be caused by any one of the
(1) The saw band must be broken in on the first few cuts, or premature
dulling of the saw band teeth could occur. Break in the saw band by using a
reduced feed pressure and speed on the first cuts.