MAINTENANCE OF THE M88A1 - OD1672 - LESSON 3/TASK 1
hydraulic power for operation of the following components if the main engine
Operation of the main winch with the use of the APU is
limited to paying out the cable to loosen the load and/or to reel in the
cable and wind it around the cable drum under no-load conditions.
Operation of the hoist winch is limited to raising it
under no-load conditions. In an emergency, if the main engine fails during
hoisting operations and there is a load hanging from the boom, the auxiliary
hydraulic system powered by the APU may be used to lower the load.
permits loosening and disconnecting the cable from the load and reeling in
The spade may be raised or lowered under no-load conditions.
It can be raised from the stabilizing position by releasing the vehicle
brakes while raising the spade.
If the spade is deeply implanted in the
ground, the vehicle must be towed back while raising the spade.
The boom may be raised or lowered under a no-load condition.
Before starting the APU:
(1) Take the precaution of turning OFF the radio and electrical switches
to prevent damage to the radio or vehicle electrical system.
(2) Place the hydraulic SYSTEM SELECTOR control lever (2) (figure 28,
view A, on the following page) in the MAIN position.
(3) Place the hydraulic POWER lever (5) (figure 28, view B) to the OFF
(4) Turn the MASTER switch (1) (figure 28, view C) to the ON position,
and the FUEL PUMP switch (5) to the OFF position.
(5) Ensure the APU generator (APU GEN) switch (1) (figure 29, view A, on
page 68) is in the OFF position.