WELDING THEORY - OD1650 - LESSON 1/TASK 1
(3) Plug Weld Dimensions. Dimensions of plug welds will be shown on the same side of
the reference line as the weld symbol. The size of a weld will be shown to the left of the weld
symbol. Included angle of countersink of plug welds shall be the user's standard, unless
otherwise indicated. Included angle of countersink, when not the user's standard, will be shown
either above or below the weld symbol (refer to figure 6, views C and E, on page 14). The pitch
(center-to-center spacing) of plug welds will be shown to the right of the weld symbol.
(4) Depth of Filling of Plug and Slot Welds. Depth of filling of plug and slot welds will
be complete unless otherwise indicated. When the depth is less than complete the depth of the
filling will be shown in inches inside the weld symbol (refer to figure 6, view D).
(5) Details of Slot Welds. Length, width, spacing, included angle of countersink,
orientation and location of slot welds cannot be shown on the welding symbols. These data will
be shown on the drawing, or by a detail with a reference to it on the welding symbol, observing
the usual location significance (refer to figure 6, view F).
(6) Surface Contour of Plug and Slot Welds. The surface contour (figure 6, view G) shall
be indicated in the same manner as that for fillet welds.
Arc Spot and Arc Seam Welds.
(1) General. Dimensions for arc spot and arc seam welds will be shown on the same side
of the reference line is the weld symbol.
(2) Size of Arc Spot and Arc Seam Welds.
(a) These welds may be dimensioned by either size or strength.
(b) The size of arc spot welds will be designated as the diameter of the weld. Arc
seam weld size will be designated as the width of the weld. Dimensions will be expressed in
fractions or decimally in hundredths of an inch, and will be shown, with or without inch marks,
to the left of the weld symbol (figure 10, view A, on the following page).