1. Inspection and maintenance of lead acid storage batteries is an important
part of ensuring that your vehicles will be able to perform their mission.
Without proper maintenance, lead acid batteries can fail and then you are
without equipment at a critical time.
a. Description of Vehicle Storage Batteries. The lead acid storage
battery is an electrochemical device for storing energy in the chemical form.
When this energy is needed to operate an electrical component in the system, it
is released as electricity. Storage batteries perform four functions in
(1) They supply electrical energy for vehicle engine starts.
(2) They supply short term overload demands in excess of generator
(3) They supply limited or emergency power when the generator is not
(4) They act as a voltage stabilizer in the vehicle electrical system.
b. Safety Precautions. Certain safety precautions must be observed when
you are working around storage batteries.
(1) While removing or installing vehicle batteries, remove the ground
cable (negative side of the battery) first and connect it last to eliminate
(2) Avoid open flames and arcing of cables near the battery. One
small spark can cause the battery to explode.
(3) Avoid contact with sulfuric acid; it can cause severe burns. Keep
a strong solution of soda and water available, as a precaution if contact
occurs. If soda solution is not available, flush the area of contact with
(4) Ventilate the battery room well at all times to avoid explosions
due to the presence of hydrogen gas which is produced by storage batteries.