USE/CARE OF HANDTOOLS & MEASURING TOOLS - OD1621 - LESSON 2/TASK 2
(5) When using a spiral tapered extractor (figure 149), drill the
hole in the broken unit slightly smaller than the diameter of the extractor.
Insert the extractor into the hole and turn it counterclockwise.
USING SPIRAL TAPERED TAP AND SCREW EXTRACTOR.
(6) A tap wrench may be used on spiral tapered extractors and a
standard open end wrench on the turn nut of the straight fluted extractor.
(1) Make certain to select the proper size extractor for the job.
(2) Never attempt to drill a hole in the broken screw or tap without
first centering the drill. Use a drill guide whenever possible.
(3) Avoid using too much pressure when backing out the broken screw
or tap. Do not apply too much leverage with the wrench as this will break
off the extractor.