M2/M3 BFV ENGINE STARTING/CHARGING SYS - OD1603 - LESSON 1/TASK 1
At step 5, the multimeter did not provide a reading of 17 volts or
more. Therefore, the following procedures must be performed.
(1) Move the ENGINE ACCESSORY switch (3)(figure 1 on page 8) and the MASTER POWER
switch (1) to the OFF position.
(2) Using the STE-M1/FVS (VTM only), and with the assistance of the mechanic's
helper, perform Test Number 70 (STARTER SOLENOID VOLTAGE). The reading on the VTM
should be 17 volts or more.
At step 5, Test Number 70 revealed a reading of 17 volts or more, which
requires performance of the following functions:
(1) Move the MASTER POWER switch to the ON position.
(2) Using a multimeter, measure the voltage between terminal 3W1E17 (2)(figure 11
on the previous page) and ground.
(3) Move the GEAR SELECTOR (4) to the START position for five
release. The reading on the multimeter should be 17 or more volts.
The multimeter reading at step 8 was not 17 volts or more, which
indicates a defective wiring harness. Therefore the following procedures must be
(1) Move the MASTER POWER switch to the OFF position.
(2) Disconnect the STE-M1/FVS (VTM only) from jack 1A1J14 (7)(figure 1, page 8).
(3) Replace the wiring harness 3W1.
The procedures for replacing this wiring
harness are described in the following subparagraph.
Replacing the Wiring Harness 3W1. The following are typical procedures that
unit maintenance personnel would follow for replacing the wiring harness 3W1 on the
Remove four leads (3W1E5 through 3W1E8) from four terminals by removing