(3) When the switch for the solenoid winding is opened, the spring
pushes the plunger back. This breaks the circuit to the starter and pulls the
pinion back away from the flywheel.
5. PRESTOLITE STARTER MOTOR. The Prestolite starter assembly is shown in figure
7. This electrical starter is a heavy-duty, 24-volt, insulated, waterproof, fungus
and corrosion resistant, solenoid-operated, enclosed shift lever-type engine
a. Components. The starter components are shown in figure 8. The
principal components are the frame assembly (X), armature (W), commutator end head
assembly (Y), brush holder (CC), brushes (B), drive assembly (T), pinion housing
(Q), solenoid relay assembly (G), intermediate housing (M), shift lever yoke (P),
and solenoid core (J).
(1) Frame assembly. The frame assembly (X) consists of the field coils
(D), pole shoes (E), and field coil terminal stud (C), all supported by a heavy
steel frame. The field coils are secured to the frame by the pole shoes and eight
pole shoe screws (V). The coils are connected to the field coil terminal stud
which is insulated from the frame. The frame has screw thread openings for
mounting the solenoid relay.
(2) Armature. The armature (W) is made of copper and laminated steel
assembled on a steel shaft. It is supported by three sleeve bearings (R, U, and
BB). The armature has straight splines on the drive end of the shaft which engage
splines on the drive assembly (T). A commutator, located at the brush end of the
armature, is the electrical point of contact of the armature.
OS 010, 6-P8